I am happy to be able to help my Mentees. Some of them are African American and I work at Mercer. I try to be helpful to all of my Mentees. Some of them are Caucasian and others are Hispanic. They are all very nice and I have been able to connect with almost all of them. Sometimes when I meet a new Mentee at the beginning of the semester I introduce myself to them to familiarize myself with their names as well.
I decided to start to appreciate my hair and to stop using hair relaxers. It’s never easy but this is a good decision to have at my age. The hair I have is nappy. I am thinking I could have gotten my brain illness from chemicals. The process of chemical hair straightening is what destroyed my hair. I liked the relaxed look but it ruined my hair. I decided to go au naturale. No turning back.
I have to say I had fun with the social group I am a part of seeing Aladdin. This is the Aladdin that is out now starring Will Smith. He’s a good actor. I remember him from the TV show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. That was one of the coolest shows on TV that I remember from my teenage years and even earlier. I like the movie but I think The Lion King movie is also new and I may be able to see it in the movie theaters if I tell a friend who agrees and also likes movies. I love a good movie.
I think I may consider adoption if I’m not able to have a child of my own by my early 40s. I’m going to the movies with friends to see the new Aladdin tomorrow. I saw the original Aladdin movie when I was like 12 years old. (I think) I am looking forward to seeing the new Aladdin movie and just hanging out with my friend Carey and the other members of the Just Friends social group. I feel like it may be a cool movie even if it’s different. I know Will Smith is a good actor so I am just going to go and see this movie.
I feel happy that I am still having successes in my 30s. I feel relevant but I’m very proud to say I was 34 years old when I got my bachelor’s degree from NJCU and that is one of the proudest achievements of my life. I think age should not be a factor. If a graduate is in her 30s, 40s, 50s or even older the completion is the thing that matters not your age. The whole point of being able to attend your graduation and being able to walk across the stage is the thing not the age you are but that you did it!
I participated in Yoga Dance from 7 pm to 8 pm at NAMI Mercer last night and I felt so good afterward. The Yoga teacher said she was teaching this class for the first time. I enjoyed the class and I felt really happy I went. Everyone had on exercise clothes and I had on a purple Levi’s t-shirt and Levi’s Bermuda shorts. It was a nice experience I had. I recommend if you think you might like these kinds of classes to register for one of the classes. There are four more classes before the end of the summer in August.
Thanks to fantac.cisse for nominating me and a bunch of other bloggers for The Sunshine Blogger Award. I’m thrilled and I appreciate the nomination.
1. Do you think your blog has made someone’s life simpler? No
2. How many books have you read so far this year? I’ve read a few memoirs this year. Tiger, Tiger by the late Margaux Fragoso, Lying A Metaphorical Memoir, By The Way, a memoir and right now I’m reading Bliss Broyard’s My Father Dancing a collection of eight short stories.
3. What has been your biggest challenges since you started this blog? and how did you overcome it? My challenge with my blog is mostly knowing even if I don’t post every day I post once a week maybe twice but sometimes I need a break but I always find some inspiration from other bloggers blogs. I have the same issue with procrastination and time management.
4. What motivates you to get up in the morning? In the morning I force myself out of bed and I splash some cold water on my face, get the crud out of my eyes and say to myself “Ayesha you gotta jump in the shower. You have somewhere to be today.” Every day is different but I focus on getting my sleep now more that I’m 38 years old. I’m in my late 30s but in my teens and in my 20s I had trouble sleeping at night because of my mental illness.
5. What are your best three quotes?
I can only give you one
Sieze the day
6. What do you think is more effective EQ or IQ?
That’s tough I don’t know
7. How do you think we can make the world a better place?
If people cared the world would be a better place.
8. Who is your blogger bestie? JGC Blog
9. Where are you blogging from? New Jersey
10. Any tips for beginner blogs? Find a subject you love to write about and just blog about it. Even if it seems like something shallow like a fashion blog about clothing or your hobbies, interests or goals. If you travel include your traveling in your blog.
I nominate the following people:
The pretty poems
I’m a girly girl. I love Hello Kitty. I love the color pink. I love bling bling. I had my bedroom painted pink and the man that painted my room did an amazing paint job. He said oh my goodness”Ayesha wants a pink room.” I’m 38 years old and I have a light pink room. I feel happy. I’m a girl.